PDA

View Full Version : Got a FREE snowblower yesterday!

fieroboi
10-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Couldn't believe this, yesterday I was out making visits at clients, working out schedules and drumming up business for the winter months when a client that uses my service for things like spring/fall cleanups and hedge trimming started asking about winter snow removal. I gave them a price and they were quite happy and agreed on the contract. They then asked me if I needed a snowblower, I commented that I was getting a new one this year, but we went out and took a look at it. Turns out it was exactly the size and condition that I was looking for. They suggested that when it snowed to try it out and see what I thought. When I got home there was a message from them to call them back. When I called they offered the snowblower as payment for snow removal and they would give me money as well, so we agreed on a price which will be deducted from the contract .... What a find, 24 inch - 8HP machine in almost new condition.

Anyone else ever get great finds from clients?

Steve
10-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Any pictures of it?

Couldn't believe this, yesterday I was out making visits at clients, working out schedules and drumming up business for the winter months

I think you are touching on a topic many readers don't understand. Can you give us a little advice on how best to go about doing this? Do you just go to each customer and knock on the door and ask them if they need any help or what is the best way to do this?

justin_time
10-03-2009, 06:11 PM
I got myself a snow blower also from my grandfather. He's currently not able to do anything due to Alzheimers and I manage to get it out of his shed and I'm going to do a bit of maintenance on it but that's about it.

I got myself a free snow blower too :)

fieroboi
10-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Any pictures of it?

I think you are touching on a topic many readers don't understand. Can you give us a little advice on how best to go about doing this? Do you just go to each customer and knock on the door and ask them if they need any help or what is the best way to do this?

No, not generally, this client had requested for me to book them in for a fall cleanup when I had trimmed their hedges this summer. I wanted to find out when they felt it would be a good time as our leaves here this fall have been late falling (some trees already bare and others still green ... even if they are the same variety) which has made it difficult to determine when to schedule. While I was there we were talking about snow, and I recalled them say that the wife had a tough time keeping the sidewalks clear last year, so I mentioned that I had a few openings for winter contracts and wanted to give them the opportunity to take advantage of one of the available spots before I filled it with someone else (creating a sense of ergency). Then the topic went to the snowblower. I do though make a point of at least once a month talking to clients while there working to see if there are other things that they would like to have taken care of, it gives me an opportunity to say "Oh, I do that or I know of someone that does that". It has opened many options for me this year.

Justin, glad to hear you got a snowblower the same way ... Too cool!

justin_time
10-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Justin, glad to hear you got a snowblower the same way ... Too cool!

Mine is pretty old, but I think it will do the trick for now !

I will get pictures when it's all fixed

Steve
10-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I do though make a point of at least once a month talking to clients while there working to see if there are other things that they would like to have taken care of, it gives me an opportunity to say "Oh, I do that or I know of someone that does that". It has opened many options for me this year.

What other things have popped up over time by asking customers if they needed any other services?

When a customer brings up a service that you need to sub-contract out, how do you deal with a sub contractor? Do you take a fee or do you just let them handle it all on their own with no referral fee?

fieroboi
10-04-2009, 07:02 PM
What other things have popped up over time by asking customers if they needed any other services?

When a customer brings up a service that you need to sub-contract out, how do you deal with a sub contractor? Do you take a fee or do you just let them handle it all on their own with no referral fee?

It has varied as to what they need, just recently I had a lady asking about trimming her large trees, I only have stuck with hedges and smaller ornamental shrubs, so I recommended one guy in town that does large trees. Another one was some stucco work repair, that one I didn't know of anyone, none the less, it opens the door. I did have one day while chatting with a client her comment about a latch that was seemingly broken on her screen door ... I looked at it very briefly and it was not broken, just out of place and only required removing and adjusting the clasp and put back on. I told her to grab a screwdriver and I fixed it in a matter of minutes. Didn't charge her either ... figured she'll stick with me forever that way. To me, having a good long term client is worth more than just the money at the time.

I haven't charge any referral fees either

Steve
10-04-2009, 10:03 PM
What % of added work do you feel comes from you pointing out a potential problem and what % comes from asking the customer if they have any issues you could help resolve?

fieroboi
10-05-2009, 06:48 AM
That is a good question. I really haven't kept track, but I would estimate it would be about 5 to 10% ... which is not a whole lot, but then again, I've been able to pick up seasonal contracts from such, which in the bigger picture means growth in business.

justin_time
11-01-2009, 03:17 PM
My snowblower is all fixed up but I need new tires. When I got it, it had a flat tire and the guy couldn't fix it.

Anybody know where I can find snowblower tires ?

Thanks

fieroboi
11-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Anybody know where I can find snowblower tires ?

Thanks

Hey Justin,

Not that it is very close to you, but there might be one in your part of the country, I saw some on "dollar tires" website. I beleive that address is www.dollartire.ca

Never know there might be some on kijiji as well. Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX

justin_time
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Hey Justin,

Not that it is very close to you, but there might be one in your part of the country, I saw some on "dollar tires" website. I beleive that address is www.dollartire.ca

Never know there might be some on kijiji as well. Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX

The site is under construction and only has phone numbers to call haha

fieroboi
11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey Justin,

Sorry about the site being under construction, I pulled up a slightly different page in that site from a search on the internet. I was looking at another site which might be of help it is mfg supply, if you search for them they seem to have all kinds of parts available for different makes of blowers.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX

justin_time
11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey Justin,

Sorry about the site being under construction, I pulled up a slightly different page in that site from a search on the internet. I was looking at another site which might be of help it is mfg supply, if you search for them they seem to have all kinds of parts available for different makes of blowers.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX

Found my tire size on Northerntool.com

Should be here 5 to 7 days or so

justin_time
11-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Finally got my snowblower tires, going to install them in the morning. Hopefully they fit and work great. We shall find out

Also note that my e-mail ain't working ! It sucks