PDA

View Full Version : Another liquid supplement

swstout
09-29-2009, 10:21 PM
90% of the lawns here in South Carolina are Centipede Turf. Winterizing Centipede requires no nitrogen based fertilizer (it can actually harm Centipede). Potassium fertilizer will aid in root development, reduce stress during winter, and, reduce lawn disease such as Centipede decline.

Use 1 oz. per 1000 sq. ft. It's inexpensive and can be used in conjunction with all Nature's Lawn products.

http://www.planetnatural.com/cgi-bin/planetnatural/earth-juice-meta-k (http://www.planetnatural.com/cgi-bin/planetnatural/earth-juice-meta-k)

Steve

Steve
09-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Steve,

Have you gotten much of a chance to experiment with this product? Did it give you the results you wanted?

swstout
09-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Steve,

Have you gotten much of a chance to experiment with this product? Did it give you the results you wanted?

I fount it researching Centipede turf at the University of North Carolina website. It was mentioned there and I followed up on it. They rated it as a 0-0-5 fertilizer. I will be ordering some for a Winterization program I am developing.

UNC used 1 oz per 1000 sq ft with about 2 gallons of water. No relults given.

Steve

Steve
10-01-2009, 04:17 PM
What should a winterization program do for a lawn?

swstout
10-01-2009, 07:00 PM
What should a winterization program do for a lawn?

Winterizing has3 main functions: 1) To fortify the plants for shorter days, colder weather, nutrient storage, and to fertilize. 2) to get plants ready for spring. And 3) winter weed control.

Centipede grass utilizes very little nitrogen. Only 1 pound (recommended) of 9% nitrogen per year per 1,000 sq. ft, so you fertilize with potassium for winter fertilizer needs. All others take the normal nitrogen regimen.

Micro nutrients sustain grasses during the winter in various ways. Winter has shorter days and usually more cloud cover so photosynthesis is minimized. Boron, magnesium, and iron optimize photosynthesis. Calcium and sulfur are needed by the plant to make proteins that facilitates overall plant vigor. Manganese and Zinc are critical for chlorophyll formation; without it plants are unable to carry out cell functions. All these micro nutrients and more are in Nature's Magic.

Many of the 30+ micro nutrients, vitamins, and plant growth hormones in Nature's Magic get the plants ready for spring.

A pre-emergent weed controller inhibits broad leaf weeds that develop during the winter from germinating.
Winterizing makes the plants stronger, healthier, and disease resistant. raising the Brix levels (percent of sugar), is also a good insect repellant. You need a liver to process sugar and insects don't have livers. A Brix level of 12 or above is deadly to insects and they instinctively leave the vicinity.

Steve

Steve
10-01-2009, 08:32 PM
When should the winterization be applied? Is there an ideal time for it?

swstout
10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
When should the winterization be applied? Is there an ideal time for it?

About the same time as leaf clean-up or better yet - mulching.

Steve

Steve
10-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Steve that is great! I appreciate all your insight!

You could give us all daily or weekly lawn care lessons :)

mark123
10-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Steve that is great! I appreciate all your insight!

You could give us all daily or weekly lawn care lessons :)
Gopher Haul guest star? ;)