PDA

View Full Version : A Job Americans Won't Do,

Steve
05-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Are you having a hard time finding good help? It seems like Cyndi is. She is willing to pay upwards of $34 per hour for help! WOW

How does this compare with your area?

A Job Americans Won't Do, Even at $34 an Hour (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/la-fi-jobs18may18,1,5238209.story?coll=chi-business-hed) - Cyndi Smallwood is looking for a few strong men for her landscaping company. Guys with no fear of a hot sun, who can shovel dirt all day long. She'll pay as much as $34 an hour.

She can't find them.

Maybe potential employees don't know about her tiny Riverside firm. Maybe the problem is Southern California's solid economy and low unemployment rate. Or maybe manual labor is something that many Americans couldn't dream of doing.

"I'm baffled why more people do not apply," Smallwood says.

tiedeman
05-18-2006, 09:29 PM
the problem is we have gotten lazy as Americans. We no longer want to do the grunt work, which is sad.

Steve
05-18-2006, 10:37 PM
What do you feel is the cause of that?

tiedeman
05-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Still to this day I blame on it on the Silicon boom back in the 90's. Many people saw these companies getting rich quick doing almost nothing.

kc2006
05-18-2006, 11:57 PM
The advancements in technology adds to the lazy factor. Everyone wants the easiest possibly way of doing everything. Beepers were the thing back in the early 90's, then cell phones came in and everyone wanted one, now everyone wants blue tooth technology with their phone so they don't even have to hold it or they want voice dial so they dont have to touch numbers.

I look at the kids that live next door to me, they're like 13ish and never go anywhere! Back when I was that age I was always on the run, always riding bikes, going places playing sports keeping active. These kids go in their front yard and hit golf balls around (man I hate that!) for 5 minutes and go back in the house and play video games. Those kids aren't going to do manual labor when they get of age, they're going to see the american dream. Go to college get a job right out of college and make big money sitting at a desk! Poor mislead youth.

Steve
05-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Do you feel then this gives the advantage to the person who isn't afraid of hard work?

kc2006
05-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Like I've said for the past few years, if the economy goes down the tubes all these office jobs are going to be the first to get hit, after that it's going to be survival of the fittest. *There will always be a need for some sort of labor, might not pay well, but if you need the money your going to do it. I don't mind work, so if it comes down to it, I'm sure I'll find a job somewhere.

Steve
05-21-2006, 07:45 PM
On top of that, you have learned many skills along the way on how to run a business.

tedharris
05-21-2006, 09:39 PM
It's not just manual labour that people don't want to do. I know a lot of trades people that can't get people into the apprenticeship programs anymore.

Seems everybody wants to be a doctor or lawyer or I T. You won't even be able to find a mechanic to fix your car if this keeps up.