PDA

View Full Version : Equipment and job site

picframer
09-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Some of the guys on the John deere forum wanted pictures of some of my gear and expecially an X749 tractor I bought last week, all wheel steer, will go around a telephone pole mowing, four wheel drive, 3 cylinder diesel, it's a friggin dream machine, personally I would take it over a ZTR in a heart beat. I bought this mainly for two contracts that have very steep hills to mow, I can tell you so far it will go anywhere.

As for the job, I have a lot of gear at this site, it's a twenty grand contract and will take weeks, we are grubbing the crap off the rocks, leaving some stands of trees, a professional landscape designer came in and did the plan, we are just following instructions.

I need staff so bad it's not funnt and even at the rates I pay, I just can't get people that will work and I think I am a very easy person to work for, my University guys work for me on the weekends which gives me 14, I have 4 full time that are doing ok, not great but....

Anyhow I am off to work, we have 5 jobs on the go today,,,

picframer
09-27-2009, 05:42 AM
Here is the 749

Steve
09-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Those are some fantastic tractors!

I need staff so bad it's not funnt and even at the rates I pay, I just can't get people that will work and I think I am a very easy person to work for, my University guys work for me on the weekends which gives me 14, I have 4 full time that are doing ok, not great but....

It is amazing how no matter what we all do in life there always seems to be a limiting factor. Sometimes it's money, man power, imagination, education etc.

What do you think causes others to not want to jump on the job positions you make available?

Is this something that is geographic? Or are there other issues?

picframer
09-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Those are some fantastic tractors!

It is amazing how no matter what we all do in life there always seems to be a limiting factor. Sometimes it's money, man power, imagination, education etc.

What do you think causes others to not want to jump on the job positions you make available?

Is this something that is geographic? Or are there other issues?

I think you answered the question, Money, man power, confidence and marketing ability.

I am not bragging at all so please don't take it that way, in three days we picked up fifty grand in excavation work on this street because of peope walking or driving buy, I am going to Deere tomorrow to buy more equipment, I mean why not the work id there although it is getting late in the season.

Steve
09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
WoW!

What is next on the wish list?

justin_time
09-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Do you get the Multi-Unit Discount Program: Green Fleet program for all your equipment ?

picframer
09-28-2009, 04:54 AM
Do you get the Multi-Unit Discount Program: Green Fleet program for all your equipment ?

I do get a contractor discount because I am a member of Landscape Nova Scotia, I never go or attand their meetings as I don't have time but the $2,500.00 membership has saved me around 20 grand this year.

picframer
09-28-2009, 04:56 AM
WoW!

What is next on the wish list?

3 Ton truck with dump, flatbed trailer and a bigger excavator with a thumb, it's an attachment for the bucket for building retaining walls, they are so expensive I haven't bought one yet.

justin_time
09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I do get a contractor discount because I am a member of Landscape Nova Scotia, I never go or attand their meetings as I don't have time but the $2,500.00 membership has saved me around 20 grand this year.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/groundscare/specialoffers/specials_loyalty_program.html

Steve
09-28-2009, 02:05 PM
a bigger excavator with a thumb

How does that help on a job site?

picframer
09-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Building rock walls, major bucks very few companies have them here as they are so expensive, basically to pick a rock up, no matter the size and turn to position it perfectly, these walls bring in around three hundred an hour, I am taking a course this winter

Steve
09-28-2009, 06:29 PM
I found a picture of one. They don't offer these thumbs on smaller models? Any reason why?

That class sounds like it would be very interesting! How much of a rock wall could be built in an hour? I have built some rock walls by hand and it was amazingly difficult.

http://www.extrememetalproducts.com/images/kubota%20010%20(Medium).jpg

picframer
09-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Yes, they have these for my equipment but you are moving major weight, I bought a 60D excavator today, around 14,000 pounds and JD will handle the transporation until snow fall. Putting a thumb even on a two ton unit is not a good idea, I am all about safety for my staff.

Wayne909
09-29-2009, 08:20 AM
My opinion on the join deer tractor is.. I find them to be way to weak for any real use (in my field i guess..). I done some tree work for a city and they had loaned me one to keep my big rig off the lawn.. I found it had no real moving power/lifting power(lifting power was ok, but logs was to much for it) and even in 4x4 it would spin the wheels when pushing dirt/rock. Although I'm sure i worked it harder then it was meant to be worked now that i think about it:o

Although that was just one experience and I'm sure you used it enough to know better then me;)

I like john deer, but that was my first experience using something that small.. I guess i was expecting more cause it was green:o

Steve
09-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Yes, they have these for my equipment but you are moving major weight, I bought a 60D excavator today,

How do you like the new excavator so far?

picframer
09-29-2009, 10:11 PM
My opinion on the join deer tractor is.. I find them to be way to weak for any real use (in my field i guess..). I done some tree work for a city and they had loaned me one to keep my big rig off the lawn.. I found it had no real moving power/lifting power(lifting power was ok, but logs was to much for it) and even in 4x4 it would spin the wheels when pushing dirt/rock. Although I'm sure i worked it harder then it was meant to be worked now that i think about it:o

Although that was just one experience and I'm sure you used it enough to know better then me;)

I like john deer, but that was my first experience using something that small.. I guess i was expecting more cause it was green:o

I think in part with no disrespect at all it is experience, I am not sure what you mean by weak for "real use" you have to have the tool for the job and if your equipment is from the big box store which is basically painted green with the name then you are right, it's for the consumer not our business, you mentioned four wheel drive, there are 5 series of tires, did you have the right ones for the terrain????.

What unit were you using, these tractors will perform beyond any skid steer or anything else I have seen, but it's picking the right tool for the job and knowing how to use it.

Also curious what you mean by small, my tractors bring on an average $400.00 a day in the 2000 and 3000 series, that is really good bucks in my books, depending on the job, soil, terrain one has to know the tool that is required.

picframer
09-29-2009, 10:16 PM
How do you like the new excavator so far?

Friggin amazing and pics to follow, it's first day I ran it, grosses $746.00 for 7 and a bit hours , I had to leave to do another job and let a new guy finish the easier stuff.... anyhow the client at the site where it is decided they want us to do the back which is about 2 acres, I suggested it would be about $9,000 but we charge by the hour on jobs like this, he said do it!

Steve
09-30-2009, 03:20 PM
it's first day I ran it, grosses $746.00 for 7 and a bit hours

Does John Deere suggest any hourly fees to charge with such equipment or how do you suggest coming up with an hourly fee for such equipment? Is it a similar process to how you can come up with an hourly fee to run a mower?

picframer
10-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Does John Deere suggest any hourly fees to charge with such equipment or how do you suggest coming up with an hourly fee for such equipment? Is it a similar process to how you can come up with an hourly fee to run a mower?

Never, local demand but its mainly quality and who well you know your stuff, as for rates, know your costs