PDA

View Full Version : Kudos and losing money in landscaping

basic lawn
09-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Great templates for Estimating Times and Profit. It has opened my eyes, and suggest every landscaper take a look at profit, or you might be losing money with every job or cut. Kudos on videos too. More landscapers should be listening. I firmly believe that landscapers in my area go out of biz because they do not charge enough to cover costs.

I also have a suggestion for template, please consider [COLOR="SandyBrown"]clippings pick up time (for the computation of Job Estimate, and please consider disposal of clippings (very expensive in my geographical location plus adds additional labor (stop and go mowing) time of course as part of the expenses to be deducted in calculation. Clipping pick up time is even more of an issue for one time cutting or for bi-weekly service since you are most likely to pick up, plus more stops to empty catcher, as well as more clippings to dispose. So your job does not end when you leave the customer, those clippings stay with you until you go to a dumpsite.

[/SIZE]. Of course there area other issues like terrain (flat, hilly) that should be considered. Also, the estimate for time in the template assumes it is one person doing the job. Weed wacking around beds should also be considered in time estimates. I know it can get complicated, and you guys did and excellent job in simplifying it!.

Thanks a LOT.

Steve
09-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Those are great ideas! Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of things have you now changed about your lawn care business after taking all these things into consideration?

basic lawn
09-27-2009, 07:27 AM
I am trying to keep in mind a number of cost per hour that I did not have before...

Well. you always aim at efficiency rather than raising prices.

One example, of efficiency, this is not in a PREMIUM type of property....
usually after knowing the level of maintenance that the owner is willing to pay for is minimum..and when clipping pick up is necessary-too tall.

"This is only done with consent of owner....
Rather than haul away Clippings recovered from a property that we do infrequently, we often manage to find areas within the customer's property where we can Evenly and neatly spread them, and eliminate the need for unwanted grass or weeds in those places in the future."

We eliminate the need for additional line trimming, disposal fees, etc. They get a mulched area. Even exchange.

Steve
09-27-2009, 06:20 PM
That is a great example.

What kinds of things have you been doing to promote and market your business?